The Aumsville Volunteer Fire Department was first organized in the early 1930s with a crew of volunteer citizens. The Fire Chief at that time was Sam Weis. The first equipment available was two soda and Acid tanks mounted on a hand-cart and the members pulled it by hand to the scene of the fire.
In 1937 the first vehicle was purchased. It was a 1934 Chevrolet truck on which a pump and storage tanks were installed by the late D.L. Eastburn in his machine shop.
The Aumsville Volunteer Fire Department became a special district in 1942, and the City of Aumsville contracted with the district to provide fire protection services. In 1947 a special election was held to seek approval for a general obligation bond totaling $10,000. The bond was used to purchase new fire equipment and a "Diamond T" pumper. The bond was paid off in ten years.
Currently the district has a main station located in Aumsville and a substation located in Shaw. In 2016, the district replaced three engines and two brush trucks with two Type 1 engines and two Type 3 brush trucks with a bond that was received in 2015.
Aumsville Rural Fire Protection District is a combination fire and rescue agency with nine career and seven volunteer firefighters. The district also has ten recruits and four cadets. There is currently a part-time Fire Chief, a full-time Training Captain, a full-time Apparatus Mechanic/Firefighter, and a full-time Office Administrator.
The district is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of five members of the community elected by the citizens of the district. The district has regular board meetings on the second Thursday of each month at the Aumsville station; the community members are always welcome to attend these meetings.
is a combination of volunteer and career staff
PO Box 247
490 Church Street
Aumsville OR 97325